Thursday, July 23, 2009

Half Way Through Week 38... Who Knew?

Just to make everyone happy I decided to post a picture of the 38 week blimp! Every inch of my body is officially swollen. I got a pedicure last week and the nail people were making fun of me in whatever language it is that they speak! I've had doctors say that I have one of the worst cases of edema (swelling) in my legs and feet. It's pretty ridiculous. At least it has given Trey and I something to laugh about. I don't remember what my body looked like pre pregnancy.




Surely I won't get bigger than this...?
We've had lots of progress this week. On Tuesday I was 3 cm, 70 percent effaced and her head was at -2 station. Station refers to how far the baby has descended into the pelvis. The scale goes from -4 -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3 +4. At 0 the baby is fully engaged in the pelvis and labor is well on its way. At +3 you are ready to push. Anyway, I went back today to see my regular doctor who had been out of town. In two days I made a lot of progress. Today I was a little over 3 cm dilated, 90 percent effaced and the baby was at -1 station. She said she would be surprised if I made it through the weekend. I don't want to get my hopes up but I hope she's right. I've been hard to predict this entire pregnancy so who knows what's going to happen. I've been having a lot more contractions with greater intensity the past few days. I'd like to get this show on the road! I haven't slept in a week.
Here's a look at what's going on this week...
Your pregnancy: 38 weeks

How your baby's growing:Your baby has really plumped up. She weighs about 6.8 pounds and she's over 19 1/2 inches long (like a leek). She has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold her hand for the first time! Her organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.Wondering what color your baby's eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If she's born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If she's born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time she's 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after she's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.)
I'm getting so anxious to meet this little person! I can't believe how close we are!

No comments: