Friday, April 24, 2009

Complete Bed Rest!

Trey and I figured we would go ahead and update everyone on what most of you already know. It's been a scary 48 hours. I'll try to consolidate a very long couple days...

We went in to the doctor yesterday expecting everything to be fine. The ultrasound went great. The baby looks perfect. However, we feared I was having real contractions and not just Braxton Hicks. They hooked me up to a fetal monitor for about an hour to measure contractions. I was in fact having uterine contractions. The doctor proceeded to check my cervix and wasn't comfortable with how things were progressing (I'll spare you guys all the complicated details). He put me on total bed rest and instructed me to stop working. I was ordered to stay off my feet and given 600mg of ibuprofen to take every 6 hours to stop the contractions. He wanted us to come in if the contractions didn't stop.

This leads us up to today. The contractions weren't going away and I was feeling pressure in my lower abdomen. I called the doctor and they told me to get to the office immediately. So off we went to the doctor yet again. After my o.b. examined me she decided to send me up to labor and delivery for observation. I was hooked up to monitors to keep track of everything going on. They took a sample from my cervix to test for the presence of protein. This particular test is used to determine the likelihood of going into active labor in the near future. The test results came back negative which was a huge sigh of relief. Based on the results the doctor felt comfortable saying I shouldn't go into active labor for at least another couple weeks (I could last longer but a couple weeks is the minimum). We will test again next week. After spending the entire day at the hospital she determined I would be ok to go on home for the weekend. I go back Monday morning to see the perinatologist. Hopefully things will look better!!

Needless to say Trey and I are very nervous but trying to stay positive. I have to stay disciplined and stay off my feet, poor Trey! He is now in charge of EVERYTHING!! We share many of the responsibilities around here but he's never cleaned a toilet, vacuumed, done laundry, dusted, ect., haha!! I should appreciate this time off but I'm not good at asking for help. Trey has basically threatened my life if I don't stay in the bed or on the couch. He seems to have a game plan for how things will run around here. Thank goodness I have such an amazing support system at home.

I'll try my best to keep everyone updated! Please keep our family in your prayers. It is going to be a long journey. We just have to take it one week at a time. Our ultimate goal at this point is to make it to 32 weeks. Anything after that will be icing on the cake. If anyone wants to give me sewing lessons or chit chat during the day let me know, haha! I need to find some things to keep me occupied/sane!

No comments: