Monday, March 23, 2009

20 weeks...

We've had an eventful couple weeks! We have been to the doctor many times and seen a total of 3 doctors in the past 12 days. My primary doctor saw a few things during the last visit that needed to be reviewed by a perinatologist. Today was spent reviewing ultrasounds and talking with the perinatologist. At this point everything is perfect with the baby. She weighs 12 ounces (slightly larger than normal for this stage which is good in case she comes early). She has all 10 fingers and toes. At this point we just have to monitor my uterus and pray that I don't decide to go into premature labor. I will be having measurements taken a couple times a week for the remainder of the pregnancy. The mentality of the physicians is to be overly cautious rather than miss something.

I've started feeling her kick on a daily basis. It is the most amazing feeling in the world. I still can't believe I have a little person inside of me. My belly has grown significantly in the last couple weeks. I'm still at the 15lb mark but my stomach is growing at a rapid rate. I'm finally starting to look more pregnant and less like a fast food junkie. I must say I like the pregnant look much better.

I finally started buying nursery items. Mom and I went on a baby shopping spree this evening. We always manage to do damage while shopping together. I can't imagine what it will be like when we add another little girl to the mix. I bought her crib, glider, ottoman, lamps, car seat and stroller. It's safe to say I've begun nesting. Hopefully we will get started on the nursery this weekend. I believe reality will kick in once I can see the nursery!

I hope the next 15 to 20 weeks fly by! I won't be able to rest easy until I have the new addition to the family in my arms. I can't wait for that day!

Here's a look at what's going on this week...
Your pregnancy: 20 weeks
How your baby's growing:Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel —
the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he's measured from head to toe.)He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).



No comments: